Change is necessary. If You Don’t Change…
During the press conference to announce NOKIA being acquired by Microsoft, Nokia CEO ended his speech saying this “we didn’t do anything wrong, but somehow, we lost”. Upon saying that, all his management team, himself included, teared sadly.
Nokia has been a respectable company. They didn’t do anything wrong in their business, however, the world changed too fast. Their opponents were too powerful.
They missed out on learning, they missed out on changing, and thus they lost the opportunity at hand to make it big. Not only did they miss the opportunity to earn big money, they lost their chance of survival.
The message of this story is, if you don’t change, you shall be removed from the competition.
It’s not wrong if you don’t want to learn new things. However, if your thoughts and mindset cannot catch up with time, you will be eliminated.
- The advantage you have yesterday, will be replaced by the trends of tomorrow. You don’t have to do anything wrong, as long as your competitors catch the wave and do it RIGHT, you can lose out and fail.
- To change and improve yourself is giving yourself a second chance. To be forced by others to change, is like being discarded.
Change is necessary
In my experience, there are several major reasons why change is difficult.
- The unknown – One of life’s greatest fears. The unknown causes us to resist those things for which we cannot easily see an outcome.
- Challenging – Change takes us out of our comfort zone.
- Uncertainty – Change usually means entering untested waters. Certainty, even though we now is bad, is preferred.
- Unpopular – Change invites animosity and tension in particular with those who refuse to learn & improve, who will mostly likely one day become redundant & not relevant.
Surround yourself with forward thinking people. People who aren’t afraid of the unknown, or tackle it head on. People who enjoy a challenge, like to test the boundaries of their comfort zone. People who will dive in the deep end and accept that resentment from others is part of the change.
What changes have you been avoiding that you need to make?
There is no better time change than right now.